In our blog, we have discussed the importance of maintaining a properly functioning furnace. Not only can a furnace repair help save you money, but it can also help protect your family in Grandville, Michigan. Most of us are aware that an improperly functioning furnace can result in carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning however, we have had some questions come in from our readers regarding the different signs and symptoms of CO poisoning. We believe that education is the most powerful tool when it comes to such an important topic as this so, we have compiled together some pertinent information regarding CO.
- Carbon Monoxide- CO is a dangerous gas and by product that is extremely harmful to people and animals. It can poison or even kill you. However, that is not what makes this gas so dangerous. CO is especially dangerous because you don’t even know it is there. It is a colorless, odorless gas so, it is nearly impossible to detect without a monitor. Many times CO poisoning is the result of a malfunctioning gas appliance in the home or the improper use of such an appliance. Improper ventilation is also a common culprit.
- Prevent Poisoning- As we mentioned just a minute ago, the only way to detect CO is with a monitor or detector. It is important that you install a detector in your home and ensure that you regularly change out the batteries, just as you would with a fire alarm. It is also important to have any gas, oil, or coal burning appliances regularly serviced by a technician every year.
- Symptoms- There are several different signs of CO poisoning but it is imperative that you are able to recognize them. Thanks to carbonmonoxidekills.com, we were able to compile a complete list of CO poisoning symptoms:
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Chest Pain/Difficulty Breathing
- Confusion/Memory Loss
- Cerebral Edema
Many times, the symptoms of CO poisoning will mimic those of the flu. It is extremely important to pay attention to these symptoms and seek immediate medical attention.
CO poisoning is not something to take lightly. At Vredevoogd Heating & Cooling, we are dedicated to keeping Grandville families safe. You can learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to keep you family safe on our website.